I did not enter my yoga class this morning with any particular expectations, other than easing the nagging pain that I have had in my lower back for the past two days. Instead, I had a spiritual revelation of sorts, leaving the class in tears, but good tears I think, not bad ones.
Elizabeth, you have been so wonderful, and something in you has spoken to me over these past months and years in a way that nothing else has. When we spoke after class you gave me a few exercises, which I am following now.
First, you told me to write a quick gratitude list — one of my favorite exercises (which I have not done recently of course) — write down ten things I’m grateful for:
1. Being alive (I think),
2. My children (that’s two, so I will now skip to number 4),
3. My husband, the best man I have ever met, for me. May we grow together and be happy until a very very old but healthy and happy life,
4. Elizabeth, for making me do this and for making me think in a new way,
5. The beach and ocean, which I need desperately right now,
6. Sleep – one of my favorite activities,
7. The written word,
8. The sunset,
9. French fries, and
10. Newborn babies.
Then Elizabeth said to write down three little things that I can do for myself today that will make me happy. Here goes:
1. Go to Elizabeth’s yoga class (ha ha, already finished!),
2. Eat some delicious food,
3. Buy a Powerball ticket.