As I went to sleep last night I thought of my Thanksgiving post and realized that almost everything on it was focused on the people in my life. There are so many other wondrous things to celebrate, so here is a short list of other things that I am thankful for, today and every day.
1) The sun. It brings us light and warmth, which are two of my favorite things.
2) The beach. I’m not a surfer or an ocean swimmer but I love the feel of the sand, the sound of the waves, the view of the horizon.
3) Books. I love to read, and getting lost in a good book is one of my favorite pastimes.
4) Movies. There is almost nothing better than getting a big tub of popcorn and losing yourself in a great movie.
5) Running. It might not feel great when you’re doing it, but it is so great for my body and mind and I have pounded the pavement for more hours and miles than I would care to tally.
6) Other exercise. I love yoga, working out with my trainer, pilates, biking, hiking, and tennis. I’m also happy playing ping pong or bowling with my children, shooting darts, shooting pool, throwing a ball around.
7) Laughter. It is a fact that laughing actually makes you happy. Try it. There’s nothing better than a big old belly laugh.
8) Music. Couldn’t live without it. If I didn’t have it I would make it, and that’s a scary thought since I have an awful singing voice and no talent with instruments. I wouldn’t care though. I love to sing and dance. It’s liberating. Try dancing with a baby or a puppy if you need a treat.
9) Food! This should not be number 9, now should it? Food is so delicious! I especially love french fries, pizza, bagels, eggs, bacon, potato chips, salads, burritos, cheese, pea soup, lentil soup, matzo ball soup, French onion soup, steak, burgers, macaroni and cheese, pasta with meat sauce.
10) Convertibles. I love the feel of the fresh air as I drive, the openness of the road. I put the heat on in the fall and spring and the a.c. in the summer. Turn up the tunes, put your hair in a pony tail, and hop in.
11) Sleeping. And, last but certainly not least, sleep keeps us healthy, refreshes our minds and bodies, and allows us to work out all of our demented problems through dreams which we can then repress.
Tada. Gotta check on my turkey. Happy Thanksgiving!