My children feel slighted that I have written more about friends and dogs than about them since I began this blog, so this morning I dedicate 10 things you probably don’t know about my children to them, while they sleep.
1. When she was 2 years old and I was putting her to bed she asked me, “Mommy, are you going to die before I die?” When I told her that it is common for older people to die first she began sobbing and told me that she didn’t want to live unless I was alive.
2. Her birthday is Cinco de Mayo, May 5th, making her an official Margarita Girl.
3. She has a terrible fear of belly buttons.
4. She wants to change the world.
5. She is musically gifted, and played “Fur Elise” to her entire school when she was 7 years old. She can pick up an instrument and play a song by ear — piano, drums, guitar, bass. She performed at Don Hill’s when she was only 12.
6. She was obsessed with Eminem when she was little and wanted to move to Detroit so she could marry him.
7. The “Barney” song at the end of the show (we’re talking purple dinosaur here, not Paul Giamatti) used to make her cry every day, because she was in love with Barney and didn’t want it to end.
8. She is extremely smart.
9. She is beautiful, inside and out.
10. When she was a baby she hit her head on a radiator and she has a white scar on the back of her scalp that will never go away.
1. His first word was “ball”.
2. He is cute/handsome enough to be a movie star.
3. Is an adventurer: he prefers to go to different camps every summer, and is open to moving out West in a heartbeat.
4. Is the most calming person I know. If I am stressed out he is the #1 go to person in my life — I will be calm and content within minutes.
5. Is a gifted athlete. He played travel soccer and is focusing on tennis now, but he is good at any sport he tries.
6. Is a baby magnet. Babies stare at him all the time, and always have.
7. Wanted to be born so badly that he kicked his way out of my stomach 11 days early.
8. Loves good food. He would eat a steak or lobster every night if given the chance (though he does love Chinese food and Mexican).
9. Is obsessed with guacamole. He called avocados “guacamole” until recently, and could eat a huge bowl (and did if he could get away with it) of it by himself at any party or barbecue where it was set out if nobody was looking. He makes a mean guacamole by the way.
10. Is brilliant.